- Tomatoes are naturally acidic, but when fully ripened, they’re also sweet and juicy which lends itself to both sweet and savoury flavours.
- For example, tomatoes can be paired with a honey balsamic glaze for a sweet tone
- Roasting tomatoes with a little oil amplifies their flavour and adds umami savouriness
Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
An easy, comforting winter warmer!
- 750g tomatoes, or about 6 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tin whole tomatoes
- 2 cups stock (chicken, veg, or just water)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- pinch chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them cut-side up on a baking tray. Coat them in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until they’re slightly scorched.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and butter. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, stock, basil, thyme, and chili flakes to the pot and stir.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, take it off the heat and blend until smooth using an immersion blender, nutribullet, or blender.
More Recipe Ideas:
- Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- Chili Tomato Arrabbiata Pasta
- Sweet Tomato Jam
Nikita is a food writer, stylist & recipe developer based in Johannesburg.
Follow Nikita Singh @nikitasinghstylist on social media