The Lemon Verbena Drop is a citrus-forward cocktail made with fresh or dried lemon verbena, which makes it perfect for summer sipping!
Lemon Verbena Basics
- Lemon verbena has a bright, sweet, and herbaceous flavour with distinct notes of lemon.
- Leaves can be used fresh or dried because dried lemon verbena retains its fragrance and flavour.
- The plant was brought to Europe by the Spanish in the 17th century and was cultivated for its oil.
- Lemon verbena can be used to add a lemony flavour to marinades, salad dressings, drinks, and desserts.
Lemon Verbena Drop
Lemon Verbena Syrup
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 sprigs of lemon verbena
In a shaker
- 2 parts gin or vodka
- 1 part lemon verbena syrup
- Juice of half a lime
- Optional: soda water
- To make the syrup, place equal parts of sugar and water in a pot. Turn up the heat and add sprigs of lemon verbena.
- Once the sugar has completely dissolved, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Once cool, remove the sprigs and store them in a glass jar in the fridge.
- To make the cocktail, place the gin, syrup, and fresh lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until cold.
- Pour into a coupe or martini glass. Add a dash of soda water for a lighter drink.
More Recipe Ideas:
- Lemon Verbena Iced Tea
- Lemon Verbena & Mint Sorbet
- Lemon Verbena Panna Cotta
Nikita is a food writer, stylist & recipe developer based in Johannesburg.
Follow Nikita Singh @nikitasinghstylist on social media