Pump up your peri-peri flavour and colour with red peppers.
Red Pepper Basics
- Green peppers have a slightly bitter, grassy flavour. Red, orange and yellow peppers are sweeter and fruitier, and red peppers are the sweetest.
- In fact, green peppers are just unripened red peppers. As the pepper ripens, it changes colour and gets sweeter in flavour.
- The vibrant ground spice paprika is made from dried red peppers or sweet peppers.
Homemade Red Pepper Peri-Peri Sauce
Delicious as a dipping sauce or the perfect marinade for chicken
Makes 1 cup
- 2 red peppers, cut in quarters lengthwise
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 5 dried bird’s eye chillies
- 3 fresh green chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven on grill setting and place the red pepper quarters on a baking sheet, skin side up.
- Coat the skins with sunflower oil and grill for 10 mins, or until the skins are charred.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skins.
- Place the roasted peppers and remaining ingredients in a blender. Blitz until smooth and fully combined.
More Recipe Ideas:
Mushroom, Red Pepper & Cheese Tortillas
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Red Pepper, Chicken & Cashew Stir Fry
Nikita is a food writer, stylist & recipe developer based in Johannesburg.
Follow Nikita Singh @nikitasinghstylist on social media