Water Kefir – Lemon Balm and Spices
Ingredients: water, organic sugar, organic lemon balm, organic ginger, cinnamon, coriander
This delicious and spicy new flavour is inspired by Carmelite water, also known as Eau deMélisse (Melissa water) or the “elixir of life”. The drink was created by Carmelite nuns in France over 600 years ago as an infusion of various herbs and spices in strong alcohol. It was considered a panacea for many different ailments. Though there are various versions of the recipe in the public domain, the official recipe of the nuns was a closely guarded secret and remains so today. The recipe rights were purchased in 1838 by a French company that continues to produce it today with a blend of 23 herbs and spices, both as a healing tonic and as a perfume.
Our non-alcoholic water kefir is infused with some of the key ingredients of Carmelite water for a delicious, spicy and refreshing drink. The herbs and spices we use have long histories of use in herbal medicine:
- Lemon balm (Melissa Officinalis): traditionally used for calming nerves, as well as treating fevers, colds and headaches.
- Ginger: highly valued for thousands of years for its anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as for its value in soothing digestive problems and colds. It is also loaded with anti-oxidants.
- Cinnamon stick: used for thousands of years in traditional medicine and more recent studies have confirmed that cinnamon can help to lower cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels. It is also extremely high in antioxidants and has anti-microbial properties.
- Coriander seeds: traditionally used for digestive complaints, anxiety, blood sugar regulation and blood pressure.
- Cloves: long used to numb the pain of toothaches and soothe digestive complaints, cloves have strong anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. More recent studies link cloves to improved liver health and prevention of peptic ulcers.