This unassuming and underrated herb can totally transform a dish.
- Chives are the hollow green stems of chive plants, but their bright purple blossoms are also edible.
- Prep them by thinly slicing or snipping them with kitchen scissors.
- Heat can destroy their delicate flavour, so add them to your dish at the last minute.
Recipe of the Month: Chive Butter
- Thinly slice ⅓ cup fresh chives.
- Using an electric mixer, whip 250g room temperature butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the chives to the butter and mix with a spatula. Season with salt to taste.
- Decant chive butter into a small bowl for serving.
- For elegant butter rounds, transfer the butter mixture to a piece of wax paper. Form the butter into a log shape, roll the wax paper over and twist both ends. Refrigerate until hard and then cut into rounds for serving.
Other Recipe Ideas:
- Garlic chive mashed potatoes
- Cheddar and chive omelette
- Chive pesto with penne and cherry tomatoes
For more healthy recipes…
Follow Nikita Singh @nikitasinghstylist on social media
Nikita is a food writer, stylist & recipe developer based in Johannesburg.