Onions are the foundation of so many recipes, yet often undervalued. Today we celebrate their greatness!
Recipe of the Month: Sweet, Caramelised Onions
- Peel two onions and thinly slice into half-moons.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add 1 tbs oil or butter.
- Add the onions and stir to coat in oil.
- Turn the heat to low and allow to soften and break down (approximately 5 minutes)
- When the onions are starting to turn a light caramel colour, add 1 tsp sugar and stir.
- Cook on low until they’re a deep caramel colour, stirring occasionally.
Add to rice or salad for an instant flavour boost or bake it into quiche or tarts for a savoury treat.
Other Recipe Ideas
- Sweet onion marmalade
- Onion, tomato & chili salsa
- Roasted onions & root vegetables
Did You Know?
- Onions are members of the Allium genus like garlic, shallots, leeks and chives.
- Sautéed onions are the flavour base for most curries, soups and stews.
- Onions are a rich source of antioxidants and have potent anti-inflammatory properties.
For more healthy recipes…